I’ve been fixing the window box heater. It’s been working OK over winter but not to its maximum. I’ll rebuild it over Summer and add a temperature control so that it only comes on when the air temperature in the box is over 20°C. I’ll use thick glass as the cover instead of thin perspex as glass traps more heat. I’ll also make the whole box fit the front windows much more closely. That’ll mean making it longer, potentially doubling it’s length. This box was originally made for the chook run to warm that over Winter but it was too effective so I had to take it down. It is made from scrap and has coir flute as its backing and thin Styrofoam as insulation. I know how well it works and I’ve got much better materials now so it’ll be a real furnace next Winter. I also learned how to improve its heating ability. First, I repositioned the inlet
My dodgy experimental solar setup. Its just pieced together for today to see if the second hand regulator works.
It must be working. We’re catching 10.5V of free electricity when its overcast. This jumps up to 11 when the sun shines fully.
Of course, thats not enough to charge the battery. Good connections and better positioning would improve efficiency enormously. At least I know it works for now.