For a while, I’ve not done any Bokashi composting. I just wanted to remind myself of the difference it made.
Then I forgot to start it again…
So, this week, I made up a new batch using 10 kg of wheat bran.
Here’s how I did it…
I put 10 kg of bran into a large tub. This is what the bacteria will live on(or in?).
To this, I added about 2 kg of pre-made bran that was a gift from a friend. This contained all the innoculant bacteria I needed.
I thoroughly mixed all this, breaking up any lumps.
The next step was to add 5 cups of molasses in a little water then mix this thoroughly through the bran. The molasses provides sugars and nutrients to get the bacteria breeding up in huge numbers.
I then added water, a couple of cups at a time, until the consistency was as you can see in the picture. It shouldn’t be too dry as the bacteria won’t kick off. Too wet and things turn smelly and horrible.
The best consistency is achieved when you can grab a handful and give it a squeeze and have it just remain in a ball in your palm.
Once all is mixed and to about the right consistency, press the mix down firmly into the container. This helps to exclude any air that might still be in the mix.
Is it working yet?
You know when things are kicking off by a couple of signs
- a vinegar, fermenty smell when you open the container
- the mix is getting very warm (that’s the body heat of a billion reproducing bacteria you can feel!).
Both of these signs mean that things are ticking along nicely. You’ve made a nice living space for the bacteria and they are doing their thing happily.
Wait a week or so while things are happening, then start using your inoculated bran liberally.
In retrospect, 10kg is a bit much to make in one hit, for our needs anyway. There was an issue where the bran in contact with the plastic sides of the tub stayed too wet and white mold appeared on the top.
The white mold isn’t itself an issue, but is an indicator that there too much oxygen in contact with the top layer.